The Ivy Place Home was built by Adam Ivy in 1850. Ivy, whose parents emigrated from Ireland, had thirteen children by two wives. According to family tradition, the house was built using a gold dust dowry from his second wife. The gold dust came from a local gold mine.
In 1888, Ivy sold his home to Dr. James D. Nisbet, who had grown up in the area and had a very successful practice in New York City. In the early 1920's, Dr. Jim retired to the Ivy Place with his wife Beulah. It was then that the house was renovated and the barns constructed.
The Ivy Place operated as a working dairy farm until the late 1950's. Dr. Jim died in 1933 and when Beulah died in 1960, the house was then vacant for eight years. After those eight years, the home was rented until 1978 when the current owners, Terry and Genie Graham bought the house and 33 acres.
Genie is a descendent of Dr. Jim Nisbet and Terry emigrated from Ireland in 1976. The Grahams raised their three children on the Ivy Place. They have worked on the house and gardens always with the goal to maintain the character and atmosphere of the original home. In 1989 the house, described as mid-19th century/Greek Revival, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Terry and Genie, who still reside in the home, decided to open The Ivy Place for special events after successfully hosting their daughters' weddings in August 2005 and May 2009. With the versatility of the property, the sisters were able to create two very different weddings to reflect their tastes.
After a nearby church ceremony, Amanda and Ron had a large evening reception under the stars with plenty of fine food and dancing late into the night. Nancy and Ryne exchanged vows in front of a smaller group of family and friends in a beautiful country field in the mid-afternoon, then dined and danced under a big top tent next to the historic home. Another wedding featured the bride and groom exchanging vows on the front steps and the reception following beneath beautiful tents in the side gardens.
After the weddings the Grahams knew their property offered something special; and wanted to make this historical home a place where others would walk away with the same great memories of their event that they have had with their daughters' weddings.